What is it?
Vitamin B1 or Thiamine is a water-soluble vitamin.
What does it do?
- Tiredness, irritability, poor concentration, poor memory
- Muscle weakness or tenderness
- Stomach pains, digestive disorders, constipation
- Severe deficiency results in the disease beri-beri.
- Poor sense of taste or smell
- White marks on fingernails
- Frequent colds and infections
- Acne or greasy skin
- Pale skin
- Hair loss
Recommended Daily Amount (RDA)
Children 0.4 – 1.1mg
Adults 0.8 – 1mg
B vitamins tend to function best when in combination with the other B vitamins, rather than in isolation, and therefore it is usually recommended that it B1 is supplemented as part of a B complex.
Soy beans, brown rice, sunflower seeds, whole wheat, nuts, oats, pulses, watercress, asparagus, courgette, peas.
There are no associations with toxicity.