Calcium

 

What is it?

Calcium makes up around 2% of our body mass. 99 % of Calcium in our body is found in our bones and teeth, however the remaining 1% is important to many critical biological functions. The skeleton acts almost like a calcium reservoir with calcium being taken up or released in line with the body's requirements.

What does it do?

  • Maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
  • Calcium neutralises an over 'acid' body environment.
  • Needed for muscle contraction, especially of the heart muscle.
  • Involved in optimum nerve transmission.
  • Assists in the blood clotting process.

Deficiency Symptoms

  • Muscle cramps or tremors
  • Nervousness and anxiety
  • Joint pain, arthritis
  • Tooth decay
  • High blood pressure
  • Severe deficiency can result in rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults.

Interactions

Works with other minerals especially magnesium and potassium, also vitamin K and D.

An acid environment in the body caused by high protein diets, alcohol, caffeine etc can cause calcium to be leached from the bones in an effort to neutralise the body's PH. Stress causes increased calcium excretion.

Recommended Daily Amount (RDA)

Children 600mg
Adults 800mg

Therapeutic amounts are generally considered to be much higher than RDAs.

Food Sources

Green leafy vegetables such as kale and spinach are much richer source. Comparatively green leafy vegetables contain more calcium than dairy products, which can be an unhealthy. Corn, beans, pumpkin seeds and almonds are also rich sources.

Safety Considerations

As the body balances calcium very effectively toxicity is not usually an issue. It may, however, become an issue in conjunction with high levels of supplementary vitamin D.

 

Please note that products, product info and all other info on this site (including multimedia content & links) are not intended for treating or diagnosing specific medical conditions. If you are unwell, pregnant, or on medication, please consult a doctor before starting supplements. Do not exceed recommended dosages and please keep all supplements out of the reach and sight of children.